You can create an order in QB, ship it through ShipStation, then send back shipping details to QuickBooks. This is ideal if orders can only be paid, if the shipping is properly calculated or if customers need a tracking number on the invoice. Connex supports updating sales orders or invoices.
Location of Shipment Details in ShipStation
You can sync the tracking number and ship date back to QuickBooks, after you ship the order. The shipment details are located on the top right of the ShipStation order. For an example shipped order, click here.
You must enable the updating. Here are the steps:
- On the transaction tab of Connex, choose invoices or sales orders. You need to send invoices to and from ShipStation or sales orders to and from ShipStation. You cannot mix and match.
- On the configure page of Connex, click the QB export tab.
- Click the box to enable update QB tracking and shipping rate. If you want to add a line for the tracking number only, select update QB tracking only.
- On the advanced tab, check use ship via. This will populate the shipping method inside of the shipping method field of the invoice. This step is optional.
- Click save and sync.
- When update QB tracking and shipping rate is checked, here is an example order:
When update tracking only is checked, here is a sample order:
Sync Orders from Manual Orders Only
If you are syncing orders from QB to ShipStation only, then you specify the store name in Connex. This ensures orders from other selling channels do not enter QB. Here are the steps:
- On the Connex configure page, click the order export tab.
- In the store list field, enter Manual Orders. If you have renamed manual orders, enter the store name instead.
- Click save and sync.
Can I use grouped items on QB orders?
You must add the non grouped items first, then add the grouped items at the very bottom of the order. Connex will add the tracking number in between the first grouped item and the last non grouped item.
Can I add a shipping line and have Connex update it?
If the QB item name is shipping or tracking, Connex will update the line with the shipping info. If Connex finds a QB line item containing the part of the order's shipping method, Connex will update it. If the order is shipped UPS and the QB item name is UPS, then Connex will update it.
There are many reasons why shipping details fail to update orders in QB:
- Have you set-up sales tax in QuickBooks?
- On the Connex configure page's QB export tab, is update tracking and shipping checked?
- Does the ShipStation order number and the QB order number on the top right match?
- Does the ShipStation order have shipping details on the top right? Connex does not support manual shipments. See location of shipment details in ShipStation above this section.
- In QB, has the shipping date field changed? If so, then it has been updated. This means that the order has no tracking info to sync.
- Have you run your web connector?